Thursday, August 13, 2009

shirt dress

i went pattern shopping several weeks ago when there was a sale at joanns and found a cute shirt dress pattern that i wanted, it is new look 6587. then i realised, i liked it because jenn and i had picked it out in may! it took several attempts to find it because i think they are taking it out of circulation. i ended up with the last one from the joanns in boise and it just happened to be the one in my size.

jason chose the fabric for me, it goes well with my new red hair i think. it also washes well, so that it doesnt need ironed when it comes out of the dryer.

so here is the dress, i only made slight changes to it. i added more buttons, twelve instead of eleven because i had several colors and i wanted an even amount of each color button. then added another button to the top because it fell just a little too low to keep me decent.



this is just a more accurate picture of the fabric. i dont have a good place to take pictures of things, so they are usually against white. that kind of washed out this dress.



the pink dress from several weeks ago had pockets in the sides, that i thought were genius, and snagged for this dress. it wasnt hard at all to fit then to the skirt, but i was short on fabric so the bottom inside of the pocket is pieced together. but youd never know that if i hadnt just told you. :)



and the collar. this was the first time i sewed a collar like this, but it was much easier than i expected. when i make this again though, i will trace the shape of a collar on one of my shirts that i like, and change the shape of this one. it seems a little 1970's large to me.



so there it is. i really like it. it is comfortable, and fits well. i do need to find a little brown belt to wear with it, because its much cuter cinched at the waist with a belt.

3 comments:

  1. The collar IS too big. But I think the scoop-neck of the pattern would work really well, I just need to let it out for my ta-tas a bit :P And I think I might make the skirt REALLY puffy, so maybe double its width before a gather. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute, I LOVE the pockets! Glad I could help with the dress form, please post pics of it after your done!

    ReplyDelete