Tuesday, April 28, 2009

turtle

I am in Australia, with Jason, Emma, Simon, and Jenn. Jesse and Sarah are watching with my puppies, and Turtle.
Turtle is my pet African Dwarf Frog who I bought with my brother in the fall of 2000. He was supposed to live for one to two years, and has moved eight times with me (even surviving several rides between home and Oregon). Turtle was supposed to be about the size of a nickel, and grew to be closer to a fifty cent piece for several years. When i changed his tank just a couple days before we left, he was back to around a quarter size (his size changed, depending on how much he ate, and weather there was grass in his tank to munch on.) We thought he would live forever at this point. Jenn and simon and I were just talking about him earlier in the week.

Jesse found Turtle dead today. He was nine and a half years old. I am far away, and cant do anything about it but be sad.

2 comments:

  1. Holy cow. I've never had one of those live for more than a few months! sheesh! I'm sorry for your loss. It seems I've had a lot of animals die when I was on vacation too. Last time, it was a parakeet I was fostering. In years past it's been fish, frogs, and once my dog. I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have had a dog die, i was at summer camp, and mom forgot to tell me on the four hour drive home, but mentioned it as we pulled into the driveway. i sat in the car for an hour before i was willing to go inside. :(

    im doing fine though, i was just really sad at first. im almost relieved that i didnt have to find him i think.

    ReplyDelete