Tuesday, October 28, 2008

lame-o

I had my 35 week appointment yesterday with a REAl doctor, rather than the nurse I've been seeing who thinks I am gaining too much weight. (I need to let that go huh? ;)

And it was lame. I had my group b test and that was it. No checking my progress. Nothing. Here's how it went:

Jason drove me in to my 840 appointment and I checked in, then headed to the potty. We were a few minutes early, but they were apparently running on good time because when I stepped out of the potty the nurse was already waiting for me. I gained about a pound and a half in the last two weeks, so that's good. She took me around the corner to a room where Jason was already waiting and checked my blood pressure. Next she stepped out into the hall to check my chart and saw that it was test day, and brought me back one of those thin sheet like things and said that they needed my bottoms off and the doctor would be in shortly.

So I comply, and wait. I sat half naked in the cold covered by a thin not quite big enough to even wrap around my sides sheet thing for forty minutes waiting for him to come in. And to make it worse, I could HEAR the doctor, nurse, and pa student in the hall talking about colonoscopys and mammograms the whole time.

When he finally came in, he didn't introduce himself, but he did introduce the pa student (who I said could come in, not a big deal since I was already dealing with new people looking at my bits.) He listened to her hear beat for about four seconds, measured me (I'm about a week big) then talked to me for a minute about the giant Qtip that he was about to swab me with. He did my test, then felt the baby to make sure she is head down (and thank God she is, FINALLY.) And the pa student got to feel her too, though she had more trouble because Emma got a little wiggly after the doctor had poked at her.

And that was it. Five minutes, tops. He asked me, as he was washing his hands to leave with my chart if I had any questions, and he gave Jason information about when to go to the hospital and all that... I had to stop him and say yes, actually. I do have a question. I told him I had heard from Anstine that he had a great reputation for being able to accurately predict the baby's size, and I wondered how big Emma was. He laid me back down and felt her for a minute again, then dropped this: shes about seven pounds, four ounces. Oh, and she has a pretty big head.

Great.

Michael and Amber just had little baby Ava Noele on Friday, and she was born at seven pounds four ounces. I have at least two more weeks until Emma is allowed to come out, which means two more weeks of getting plumper.

Overall, the appointment was lame. I had to meet a doctor after waiting forty minutes cold and pants less, then get no news about progression, and have to stop him from leaving to even get my one question answered. What sucks is that he was nice, just seemed disinterested in doing his job. And I want to like him, in case he ends up delivering for me!

So pray for my patience. I thought that there was no one else ahead of me, and that the next exciting baby news would be mine, but now there is yet another baby in my church/ small group who is due in just a week and a couple days that will be ahead of me. I want to have her already. I want her out of my tummy and I don't want to wait much longer. I'm cranky. Mostly I am getting a bit hormonal and being at home alone after spending the whole day with Jason yesterday makes me bored and lonely.

That's my story, lame as it is, at least we know I will not be having a skinny bald baby.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Sarah, I'm sorry! Even with my doctor who I love, I know I've had appointments that I walked away from feeling just depressed. Hang in there! Our little girls will be cooing at each other in no time!

    ReplyDelete