Monday, July 20, 2009

peer presure round two

my attempt at matching dresses failed last time, so i spent my saturday working on a second try. being sick, i felt like doing nothing, and sewing is the most productive type of nothing i could come up with. i went pattern shopping on friday and picked up a couple new patterns for me, a tie neck top and a dress.

the top is new look 6831. i am thinking view d, or view c with the tie rather than no collar.



the dress caught my eye because it looked like it could be flattering on me now, as i am still slimming down after having emma. it is simplicity 2886. i made view a to match emmas dress and on sunday afternoon made the bolero.



emmas is also a simplicity pattern (i love their $1.99 sales) number 2668.



okay, now on to the good stuff, finished product.





i finally had to bump emma up a size, but this dress will fit her for quite some time. the yoke lays on her shoulders well, but as long as her neck fits comfortably inside, the dress will fit. its pretty long on her (i shortened the pattern a little too) so it looks like an old womans house dress when shes standing.

my dress turned out well too- with no seam ripping! i have only one alteration to the pattern to make it a better fit, the addition of darts on the bodice so the arm holes dont pucker. i had jason take a couple pictures of me in the dress, but i am not happy with how they turned out and right now it is in the wash so when it gets out i will take a few more. i do have the pocket (i LOVE that this has pockets. i never have a place for my chapstick, and jason gets tired of carrying it for me.)





to make my dress match emmas, and because i dont have any boarder print fabric, i used a white band across the midriff, and for the hem band.

more photos of the dress, and my ideas for simple alterations to make it a slightly different dress in a day or two. also, photos of the little jacket. i am still working on the crochet baby blanket, i added several inches last night. no sewing today, as it is laundry and floor cleaning day.

any recommendations for taking some flattering photos? i have a feeling i am going to need to know some tips, because i really enjoyed making something for me again, and i am a little more self conscious than emma.

1 comment:

  1. I totally HAVE that New Look pattern, and I haven't done a thing with it yet! Maybe I will make a shirt too. :)

    And I love that Simplicity pattern. I might go and buy a copy for myself!

    You are inspiring me to sew again, which is nice - my machine is collecting dust in the living room. I've been painting and cleaning.

    For pictures, wear the Thing maybe? I find sticking my chin out makes me less round about the face. And smile, and be confident - you're so pretty!

    ReplyDelete